This blog is mainly about the governance and future of policing and crime services. (Police & Crime Commissioners feature quite a lot.) But there are also posts about the wider justice system. And because I am town councillor and political activist, local & national issues are covered a little, as well.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What makes a great PCCCV?

The 'Choose my PCC' website has offered the candidates their opportunity to display proudly their credentials and plans for policing and crime were they to be elected. Some have grasped the nettle and produced some quite detailed plans and with only a minimal nod to their past experience (see Mr Simmonds, Tory candidate for Northamptonshire or Ms Rogers, Labour candidate for Dorset). Others have placed more emphasis upon the direct experience that they bring (see Ms Rayment, Labour candidate for Hampshire or Mr Alston, Tory candidate for Essex).

Some, as I have indicated below, just seem to have missed the point entirely (yes I am talking about you again Mr Passmore, Tory candidate for Suffolk) for whom I recommend this website: how to write a successful CV.

And then I stumble across Mr Ashton (Tory candidate for Lancashire) who says on his own website "When I left I joined the family business and grew Ashton Garden Centre to one of the best in the Fylde.  After selling the business, to concentrate on my council service, I started part time work as an inspector for the Royal Horticultural Society"

And then there is this clipping I found in a local newspaper:

A GARDEN centre, which fell victim to the credit crunch, could become a site for new homes. The owner of Ashton Nurseries in Lytham, which closed earlier this year, has been granted permission to build a residential complex of between 10 and 13 homes, on the Mythop Road site. Tim Ashton, who owns the garden centre, blamed increased competition from other garden centres and the recession for closure of the nursery. Mr Ashton said: "The reason we had to close was probably a mixture of increased competition and the economy making it difficult to run the business."

So now I am confused. Perhaps Mr Ashton might like to clear matters up as these two statements do not seem compatible. But perhaps I am missing some of the subtlety?

2 comments:

  1. I for one would like to see more passion! We seem to have adopted "Keep passion out of Politics" as a slogan. I've only seen the Aylesbury hustings video, but it's so civilised! One question each, one answer, no come-back, no arguments, no howls of derision when a candidate says something stupid, no jeers and cheers, no throwing rotten fruit. Well ok, perhaps not the rotten fruit. Where's the passion? What do these people really believe in? "I'm passionate about <whatever>" has become a meaningless cliché. Put the candidates under a bit of pressure from the crowd and see how they cope: perhaps their true colours and strengths will come out.

    Either that or subject them to an Apprentice-style final interview. "Your CV's rubbish, isn't it, Mr X? You say you managed a £100m budget but actually you only drew up the annual accounts didn't you?" I could do it. In fact I volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony I agree and I think you should! I think there is more passion in some that others. In order of ranking from most to least passionate, my order would be Patience, Tim, Barry, John, Anthony and Geoff (as I perceive them rather than what they actually are of course)

      Delete