This blog is mainly about the governance and future of policing and crime services. (Police & Crime Commissioners feature quite a lot.) But there are also posts about the wider justice system. And because I am town councillor and political activist, local & national issues are covered a little, as well.

Monday, February 25, 2013

The value of ritual

I have already blogged today about the challenge facing Police & Crime Commissioners to get themselves known by more than 10% of the population. It is a significant challenge.

And then I came across (thanks to my brother) this video of the ritual associated with closing the border between India and Pakistan which happens every evening. It is a delightful spectacle which is evidently enjoyed by thousands of people every year, I would imagine, given the crowds being shown in the clip below.


(There is a shorter and better quality film here as well)

So this got me wondering, would it help if the PCCs began to invent some new rituals to get themselves better known? I know I have blogged humorously about this before, suggesting that my 'Secret PCC' would be very focused on getting a chain of office, but... I wonder?

I am not suggesting some huge pompous (and costly) ceremony, but maybe a ritual or two to raise their profiles a bit? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment