This blog is mainly about the governance and future of policing and crime services. (Police & Crime Commissioners feature quite a lot.) But there are also posts about the wider justice system. And because I am town councillor and political activist, local & national issues are covered a little, as well.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Paddy Power?

I am not sure what Paddy Power is seeking to achieve with its betting on the outcome of the Oscar Pistorius trail apart from making money, but I find it to be in extremely poor taste. How is it ethical to make gambling money out of the death (however caused) of someone? 


Here is the email I just sent to the Paddy Power PR team (prteam@paddypower.com)
I do not know whose idea it was to arrange betting on the outcome of the Oscar Pistorius trial, but I am deeply saddened that you should seek to profit from the death of Ms SteenKamp. Indeed your advertisement as shown here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-paddy-power-prompts-outrage-by-offering-money-back-if-he-walks-bets-on-murder-case-9163814.html is hugely offensive on many levels.

I am not a person who places bets regularly but I sometimes do. I will NEVER ever bet with Paddy Power again.

Please stop and remove this bet before you embarrass yourselves further. This is in very poor taste.

Sincerely yours
I just tried phoning them too. No one picked up but I was able to leave a message. Their number is 0207 8749156. You might want to text the mobile number given too: 07881 248373

No comments:

Post a Comment